Located in downtown Logan, in the heart of the Hocking Hills. Our building is four-stories built in 1925 as a Masonic Lodge Temple and known as the Knights of Pythias building. The dedication stone can still be seen on the corner of the building.
When construction began, the speaker for the ceremony was noted for sharing what “the Pythias Castle would stand for in the community and why it should be a source of pride to every citizen of Hocking County.”
It was designed in a Classic Revival style with originally 600 seats (450 today) and was intended as an anchor for the business district of Logan. The theater's opening night was on November 1, 1926 to a capacity crowd who watched "Jolly Tars" and "The Campus Flirt". The Knights lost it during the Great Depression and the Masons bought it sometime later.
The Logan Holding Company took over “The Pythian Theatre” in 1931 and was managed by three individuals who kept it “clean, well arranged and perfect acoustics.”
Despite changing hands, a fraternal lodge continued to meet in the building, and a dance studio operated on the second floor for more than 12 years after 1934